Wednesday, April 7, 2010
I think (well, in my opinion at least) my job is really quite fun.Well after working as a private tutor for six months now and counting, many incidents have happened that made me experience many emotions.
There were times when I was so angry and maybe even insulted that I would have liked to strangle the kid, but there were incidents that made me laugh as well.
Looking back on some worthy-to-remember moments, I thought I should share them:
1) This only happened recently. It was night tuition, and about to rain. You know those flies that like to invade your house and gather at the lights when it's about to rain? Yeah, those flies, about 20 or more of them decided to invade my house that night and hence disrupted the tuition session.
Because the flies kept dropping dead (sometimes alive) randomly onto us and the table, we ended up feeling itchy and uncomfortable. And I was freaking annoyed so I grabbed a book and started swatting at those darned flies.
And then the kid and my brother (who was doing homework at the table also) joined in and we all started laughing at how ridiculous the tuition session waas becoming.
Anyway, we spent about 10 minutes getting rid of the flies. I think I killed maybe five.
2)My student was doing like his twentieth Grammar exercise, and I asked him this while going through corrections with him. "So if the noun is singular, what should the answer be? (jog/jogs/is jogging/jogged)"
My student answered "Jog."
Me (nearly tearing my hair out because I'd already explained this before and he was still getting the same type of questions wrong): "I said before right, if it's singular, the answer will have a letter 's' at the back."
Student: "Oh. I thought if plural then got the 's'?
Me: "No, it's not. It's singular...
Student: "Oh."
Me: "Don't tell me, that you thought all along that if it's plural noun then the answer will end with 's'??
My student nodded his head. Because he had this misconception and was already in P4, I nearly died. Thankfully, we got rid of this misconception already.
3) My student was reading a math problem sum and he started laughing to himself all of a sudden.
I asked, "Yes? Why are you laughing? The problem sum very funny is it?"
Student: "Teacher, why the question inside got shit one?"
Me: (did not believe) "Come, let me see."
I got his book and read where he pointed to me. The word he pointed at was 'sheet', not 'shit'.
Me (explains patiently): "This 'shit' you're talking about is 'sheet' of paper. Sheeeet. Not that 'shit'."
He was still grinning away, so I asked him, "Don't tell me you didn't know the difference?"
He was still grinning, so I knew his answer was 'I didn't know'.
Yes, I nearly died again, because this student was already in P6.
In fact, many more funny incidents happened before, but there were too many.
It's all stuff that make me smile to myself when I recall them, but it makes me glad that my students are all improving. And right now, I'm not hoping for more than a 'pass' for most of them. I know they can do it, and I can do it too.
It all just takes patience of a world:)
Labels: My job rocks:D

i'VE got this
i WANT this